Thursday, September 24, 2009

More from Magoo - July

The last time i posted i was going to have potatoes for the 4th of July, but they were not ready yet. We did have tomatoes, onions and peppers-not much else going on. I had my family do a tomato taste test - i obtained 2 organic seed grown tomato plants from a fellow veg head. The results were hands down, my daughter-in-law said the organic grown ones were much zestier...interesting. In 2007 i entered my veggies at the DCMGA Fruit, Veg, Herb and Flower Show and surprisingly they did okay---


Well, it is with a sad heart that i wont be contributing to the blog til next spring arrives and it is time to plant again. I was called away on an emergency and when i arrived home after a 2 week absence my veggie garden had withered away in the 100 degree plus temperatures with no rain. I had looked for a timer to put on my soaker hoses but they were all sold out. I didn't want to put the burden of asking my pets' caregiver to turn the soakers on and remember to turn them off, so instead of a plush green veggie garden, I now have a sad looking shriveled garden! Maybe i will try a winter veggie garden, i plan to attend the DCMGA Garden InfoFest on Oct 3rd at Upper Trinity where demonstrations for Winter Vegetable Gardening will be featured. I was a virgin blogger before this and don't know if i am doing it right, i still haven't figured out that 'my spacebook' thing yet...but i will share this story with you before i go even though it isn't veg gardening related- Behind my waterfall there has been a critter hole there for about 5 years...when i first noticed it i peeked in there and didn't see anything so i pushed the soil back in place...the next day it was dug out again---i have just ignored it since then, but signs of something habitating the space have been noticeable. The other morning i went back to the greenhouse to get some pruning shears, we were just starting to get some daylight and i noticed something waddling across the back of the yard toward the waterfall---and my dog took off after it! - i yelled 'leave it' and believe it or not my dog backed off. (and for those of you who know my dog find that a story unto itself, he probably stopped from fear of the critter more so than from my command!) ..it looked like the shape of an armadillo (rounded back), but i couldn't hear it rattle so i think it is a opossum. So i know there is a creature back there, but the mystery remains what it is exactly...take care til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment