Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pig's Fly Ranch Post May 27, 2009






My entry for May 27, 2009 Memorial Weekend was busy with guests running in and out, cooking (something that doesn't happen around here much) and some garage sale shopping. I had two garage sale finds (total cost 75 cents) that resulted in a tremendously cute toad house for the garden.

I was looking for plates and china to break and use for mosaics when I came across a seafoam green votive holder (circa 1990) for 25 cents. I figured I could use that somewhere. About an hour later at a different sale, I found a dessert plate that looked like a daisy (50 cents). When I got home, I looked at the pair and said, "there is a toad house here somewhere."



Using Loctite quick set epoxy, I glued the bottom of the daisy plate to the bottom of the votive holder. This product claims to set in 5 minutes ... but 30 hours might be a better estimate. Also, I had to use A LOT of the product, but eventually, the two pieces bonded together.



Now I am going to bury the new toad house upside down in the flower bed (needs to be in a shady, moist spot) about three inches deep. I need to bring soil up and over the "doorway" and fill the inside of the votive holder with enough soil to make a level dirt floor. I don't want any toad who finds this thing to hop inside and think he fell down an elevator shaft.




Why would anyone want a toad house in the flower bed? Toads provide excellent pest control by eating up to 100 slugs, flies, cutworms and grasshoppers per night. A toad house gives them a comfy daytime resting place out of the sun. If you'll search the Internet, you can find chi chi toad houses that sell for around $40 each. I feel clever that mine is every bit as adorable and about $39 less.

No comments:

Post a Comment