Thursday, June 4, 2009

Welcome a Transplant!!

This blog is for all you transplanted people who now live in the great state of Texas.


I grew up as a southern Indiana farm girl and married a local farm boy. We moved several times around IN and IL and I planted gardens at all the places we lived, from a few acres in the country to lots in the suburbs. After about 25 years of gardening I was confident of my ability to grow a sustainable, edible landscape.


Then…. we moved to Texas.


There were hints that like Toto and Dorothy, we weren’t in Kansas (or IN or IL) anymore. The first hint was about the soil. The builder of our house told us we should keep the ground around the house watered. I thought he was kidding. We have to water the house? I laughed when I asked him that question.


All long time and native residents of north Texas may find my ignorance to be unbelievable, but fellow transplants I want you to be encouraged. After almost 4 years of living in Texas there are once again veggies growing in our back yard. In future blogs I will tell you what I learned about how to (and how not to) garden in Denton County, Texas. h.t.



No comments:

Post a Comment